Best for Midrange Gaming: ASUS ROG STRIX Z2740E, Asus rog review Affordable and with all the bells and whistles you’d expect from top-shelf gaming motherboards, the ASUS ROG STRIX Z2740E is the best on the list for any midrange gamer. It stands out as ideal for any gamer who wants a balance of price, expansive slots, and high-speed connectivity.
The ASUS ROG STRIX Z2740E comes with built-in 2×2 802.11AC Wi-Fi connectivity, three 3.0 PCIe USB ports, two SATA ports for hard drives, as well as four slots for up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM. The system is able to support 7th generation Intel Core processors up to 3866MHz (3.8Ghz), so while you can’t max it out completely, you can still get a hefty running gaming motherboard that can tackle most PC video game demands. Like other ASUS motherboards on the list, it is built with patent-pending Safe Slots that protect your components by firmly anchoring them for a sturdy hold.
• Designed exclusively for 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with Dual M.2, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.1 and Intel Optane Memory compatibility
• 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and FanXpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
• Unmatched Personalization with ASUS exclusive AURA Sync RGB lighting, two additional RGB headers, addressable RGB header and 3D-printing mounts
• Two Patent-pending Safe Slots feature an injection molding process that integrates metal framing for a stronger, firmly anchored PCIe slot built for heavyweight GPUs
• Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with dual headphone amplifiers and ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A CODEC driven by Japanese capacitors